5/22/2014 6:42 P.M. ET
D-backs to host Military Appreciation Day on Monday
By / MLB.com
PHOENIX - The Arizona Diamondbacks (@Dbacks) will honor all military active duty, reserve, retired and veterans and will pay tribute to fallen military heroes this Monday as the D-backs host Military Appreciation Day on Memorial Day at Chase Field. The D-backs will hand out 15,000 D-backs camouflage replica jerseys, courtesy of Budweiser, to fans 21 and over.
The D-backs will honor and recognize several military service members and organizations on Monday, including:
- National Anthem: U.S. Navy Petty Officer Steven Powell
- Color Guard: Luke Air Force Base Honor Guard
- Ceremonial First Pitch 1: Luke Air Force Base Brigadier General Michael Rothstein, on behalf of Budweiser
- Ceremonial First Pitch 2: Former professional baseball player and military veteran Hank Weaver will throw out a ceremonial first pitch. The 92-year-old was signed to a baseball contract by Branch Rickey and played in the St. Louis Cardinals organization alongside Stan Musial. He was drafted into the air force and trained to be a glider pilot but was instead sent to serve in the Pacific. Weaver played on a traveling All-Star baseball team and once played against Joe Garagiola. He also entertained troops alongside Gene Autry and later served as a scout for Autry with the California Angels organization.
- MLB National Moment of Remembrance: All 30 MLB teams will observe a moment of silence prior to the national anthem to honor those who have sacrificed their lives serving our country.
- Joint Forces: One active duty member and their family from each branch of the military will stand around the infield with a flag depicting their branch of service during a special on-field pregame ceremony.
- Military Assistance Mission: The Arizona Diamondbacks Foundation and Sanderson Ford will present a check for $50,000 to Military Assistance Mission during a special pregame recognition. The money was raised through the D-backs' annual golf tournament. MAM provides financial and morale aid to Arizona active duty military, their families, and wounded warriors regardless of overseas deployment status.
- Soldier's Best Friend: The Arizona Diamondbacks Foundation has funded service dogs for Arizona veterans through Soldier's Best Friend. SBF is an Arizona non-profit that provides U.S. military veterans living with combat-related Post Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD) or Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI) with Service or Therapeutic Companion Dogs, most of which are rescued from local shelters. The veteran and dog train together to build a trusting relationship that saves two lives at once and inspires countless others. The Arizona Diamondbacks will recognize 10 Arizona veterans and their service dogs during a special pregame ceremony on the field.
- Honor Flight of Arizona: The D-backs will recognize several members from Arizona Honor Flight. Honor Flight is a non-profit organization created solely to honor America's WWII veterans. The Arizona Diamondbacks Foundation funded the most recent Honor Flight which transported veterans to Washington D.C. to visit the WWII Memorial.
- D-backs Employee Veterans: The D-backs will recognize several employees who have served in the military during a special pregame recognition.
- FOX Sports Arizona/Arizona National Guard: FOX Sports Arizona will host 50 members of the Arizona National Guard and their families to enjoy the game.
The D-backs will wear black jerseys with camouflaged "Arizona" lettering and will sport an authentic military digital camouflage designed cap in honor of Memorial Day. The game-worn, autographed jerseys will be auctioned off beginning at 5:00PM on Memorial Day online at www.dbacks.com/auctions. The online auction will end on June 3 and proceeds will benefit military charities through the Arizona Diamondbacks Foundation. The specially-designed camouflage hat and jersey with camouflaged "Arizona" lettering will be available for purchase in the Team Shop.
The D-backs' military ticket offer for 50-percent off ticket prices is available to all military active duty, reserve, retired and veterans, as well as active and retired fire and police personnel with a valid ID. The offer is available at the Chase Field Box Office, by calling 602.514.8400 or online at www.dbacks.com/military.
This story was not subject to the approval of Major League Baseball or its clubs.