4/9/2014 5:26 P.M. ET
D-backs To Host Fifth Annual APS Green Series This Weekend
Free parking for electric powered vehicles this Sunday
By / MLB.com
PHOENIX - The Arizona Diamondbacks, in partnership with Arizona Public Service (APS), have teamed up for the fifth annual APS Green Series during this weekend's (April 11-13) homestand against the Los Angeles Dodgers. Starting Friday and continuing through Sunday, fans coming to Chase Field will learn how to become more energy efficient.
The Green Series kicks off this Friday but fans can look forward to the following throughout the entire weekend:
Friday, April 11
- Giveaway: Beat L.A. recyclable placards for 30,000 fans
- Fireworks Night, presented by Gila River Casinos
Saturday, April 12
- Giveaway: D-backs recyclable shopping bag for 25,000 fans, courtesy of MLB Network
- Street Festival starting at 2:00PM
- Postgame Giveaway: 10,000 compact fluorescent light (CFL) bulbs, courtesy of APS
Sunday, April 13
- Free parking at the Chase Field Garage for all electric powered vehicles
- Kids Run the Bases for Phoenix Children's Hospital
During the APS Green Series, the D-backs will purchase green energy from APS to power Chase Field for the entire three-game weekend. The total average consumption for the series will be approximately 750,000 kilowatt hours (kWh). APS will have educational items on display, including a 1915 electric car, near the north end of the APS Solar Pavilion, located in the Gila River Casinos Plaza, educating customers about APS energy efficiency programs that can help fans reduce energy use and save money.
Throughout the series, fans are encouraged to follow @Dbacks and share examples of how they are energy efficient via Twitter or Instagram using the hashtag #EnergyAllStar for a chance to win a gift bag courtesy of the D-backs and APS. During the games, fans are encouraged to follow @Dbacks and tweet using the hashtag #GreenSeries to see their energy-efficient tweets on dbTV throughout the games. Fans are also encouraged to sign up for the APS Energy All-Star Campaign, in which one lucky fan will win a D-backs VIP Experience. Fans can sign up at www.aps.com/dbacks.
The D-backs are constantly seeking ways to be more energy efficient and more sustainable. Some of the top practices are highlighted by the following:
- In 2014, the D-backs replaced fluorescent lighting along the main concourse with energy-efficient LED lighting that will reduce the main concourse lighting power consumption by 60 percent each year. Fans with electric powered vehicles can charge their cars at one of the three electric car charging stations located at the northwest corner of 4th Street and Jackson at every game this season.
- In 2013, the D-backs and Levy Restaurants donated five tons of leftover food after games to Church on the Street, an equivalent of 8,333 meals for people in need in the Phoenix community.
- The APS Solar Pavilion, a 17,280 square-foot shade structure that generates 100,000 kWh of solar energy annually, enough electricity to power the lights at Chase Field for 11 home games.
Tickets for the APS Green Series are available at the Chase Field Box Office, by phone at 602.514.8400 or online at dbacks.com/green.
This story was not subject to the approval of Major League Baseball or its clubs.