SAN DIEGO -- The Padres are certainly excited about the early returns from Carlos Quentin, who has hit three home runs and knocked in seven runs in four games since being reinstated from the disabled list.

But Quentin's return has sort of pushed Jesus Guzman out of a spot in the starting lineup, though the Padres manager, Bud Black, will continue to look for ways to get Guzman's bat in the lineup.

On Friday, that opportunity came in the eighth inning of a tied game when Guzman drilled a two-run home run. The Padres scored six runs in the inning on their way to a 7-1 victory over the D-backs.

Black has vowed to get Guzman at-bats moving forward, though he'll have to be creative to do so with Quentin back.

"He'll pickup Quentin, maybe as soon as tomorrow, and he'll pickup Yonder [Alonso] at first base," Black said.

For now, Black will continue to use Guzman as a pinch-hitter and with the Padres playing the first of six games on the road against American League teams starting June 11, he could start at designated hitter.

"Guzie was due to do something big," Black said. "We saw it a lot last year. Guzie is a good hitter."

Street throws rehab inning for Storm

SAN DIEGO -- It's a two-hour drive from Rancho Cucamonga to San Diego, which rates as a long way to go to throw nine pitches.

Yet, the nine pitches Padres closer Huston Street threw on Friday in a Minor League rehabilitation stint for Class A Lake Elsinore made the drive well worth it for Street, who has been on the 15-day disabled list since May 5 with a strained right lat muscle.

"It was quick, but you expect that. You know guys are going to be swinging," Street said. "This was more about getting my feet wet and more about building up."

Street retired all three batters in a road game for the Storm with one strikeout. Of the nine pitches, seven of them were strikes.

Street will get another appearance with the Storm on Sunday, a second one-inning outing. If that goes well, he could rejoin the Padres next week.

"He felt good about his outing," Padres manager Bud Black said. "If everything goes according to plan, we'll see him early in the week."

Street, who actually started the game Friday, didn't go out and throw with full intensity right away.

"But by the end, I was turning it loose," he said.

The only problem was the last batter he faced put the ball in play on the first pitch. That was perfectly fine with Street, who worked up a bigger sweat before the game with an aggressive long toss session.

Street was 4-for-4 in save opportunities before he suffered the lat injury throwing a pitch last month. His replacement, Dale Thayer, is 5-for-5 in save opportunities.

Padres VP Minaya happy for Santana

SAN DIEGO -- Omar Minaya had no idea that Johan Santana was throwing a no-hitter for the Mets on Friday because he was essentially sequestered in the Padres Draft room most of the day and evening.

And when he heard about it, Minaya almost didn't believe it.

"The only indication I had was when I got a text that it was the seventh inning and that there was a no-hitter," said Minaya, who was the general manager of the Mets from 2005-2010.

"I got so used to seeing a guy have one in the seventh or eighth inning and not get it done that I didn't think about it. But later I got a text that he [Santana] threw a no-hitter. It [text message] just looked ... different."

Minaya, in his first season with the Padres as senior vice president of baseball operations, said that he was proud of Santana and happy for the Mets' organization and their fans. The Mets and Padres were the only two Major League teams without a no-hitter until Santana blanked the Cardinals.

Minaya was the man responsible for trading for Santana on Feb. 2, 2008 when he sent four players to the Twins for the left-handed pitcher. Santana then signed a six-year deal worth $137.5 million.

Santana won 16 games for the Mets in 2008 but had a knee injury that season and arthroscopic surgery on his left elbow in 2009. In 2010, Santana had surgery to repair a torn anterior capsule in his left shoulder which caused him to miss all of last season.

"I'm happy for him, especially with how much hard work he's put in," Minaya said. "I'm happy for him, the organization and the fans. As someone who worked for the Mets, you're happy to see that."