video thumbnail

ARI@COL: Montero cranks a two-run shot to right

DENVER -- Friday's game between the D-backs and Rockies profiled to be a pitchers' duel with Daniel Hudson and Juan Nicasio.

That's not how it turned out, as both starters were knocked out early before Todd Helton delivered a run-scoring double in the eighth to lead the Rockies to a 7-6 win on a chilly Friday night at Coors Field.

This was one of those games the D-backs hope they can put behind them.

The sooner the better.

"We didn't make any pitches all night," D-backs manager Kirk Gibson said. "We didn't play well. That's not the way we play. We're just going to have to move on. We weren't able to make pitches. We weren't able to make plays."

Hudson had leads of 2-0 and 6-2 handed to him, but was unable to hold either of them. He managed to last 3 2/3 innings before leaving with the game tied at 6.

"Just terrible command tonight," Hudson said in summing up his performance. "It's frustrating because we get up six runs in the first three innings and you want to go out there and just throw up one zero, just to kind of get some momentum, get the guys back in the dugout swinging it again, but you're just struggling and you're trying to find some kind of rhythm, and you just can't do it."

While the D-backs did win five of their first six games heading into Friday's action, they had struggled to hit with runners in scoring position. Their inability to do so in the fourth inning Friday proved to be key.

Jason Kubel led off the fourth with a single and Justin Upton followed with a double to put runners on second and third.

Rockies reliever Esmil Rogers, though, got cleanup hitter Miguel Montero to hit a tapper back to the mound, and then fanned Chris Young and Paul Goldschmidt to end the inning without a run coming across.

"When I got the ground ball to me, I was thinking, 'I'm going to strike out the next hitter,'" Rogers said. "That was the first time in my life I felt like that. I said to myself, 'Chris Young, I have to strike out this guy.'"

By contrast, the Rockies had two out and none on in their half of the fourth and managed to score a pair of runs on Helton's single to right. The hit ended Hudson's night and tied the game at 6.

"The whole way through we were taking good at-bats, not giving at-bats away," Helton said.

From there it became a battle of the bullpens.

Brad Ziegler and Craig Breslow combined for 3 1/3 innings of scoreless relief before giving way to Bryan Shaw to start the eighth.

Shaw, who had not allowed a run in 3 2/3 innings coming into the game, allowed a one-out single to Carlos Gonzalez.

That brought Troy Tulowitzki to the plate, and when Shaw tried to pick Gonzalez off first, the ball got away from Goldschmidt, allowing Gonzalez to go to third.

"It kind of took me up the line, I tried to snag it and it hit off my glove, and I wasn't able to knock it down," said Goldschmidt, who was charged with an error.

Shaw (0-1) settled down to strike out Tulowitzki and looked like he might get out of the jam before Helton lifted an 0-1 cut fastball to left for a double that easily scored Gonzalez.

"The error hurt us, but yet we still had an opportunity to get out of it and weren't able to make a pitch to get out of it," Gibson said. "Bryan Shaw has been throwing a lot, the kid's been busting his tail, it just doesn't work out sometimes.

"It's just one of those things. Everybody is trying it's not from a lack of effort. It's just one of these days we'll forget quickly." Comments